Thursday, June 11, 2009

To Compete With Tyler's ADD

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts about Grandma Ramona.

When Tyler asked my father for my hand in marriage, he made an appointment. He called Dad at his office and they set a time for 7:00 that evening in my basement. When Dad got home from work, he waggled his eyebrows, grinned, and said, "I have a special meeting tonight."

My little sister Marissa was understandably a little paranoid about special meetings. The last special meeting my Dad had had was with President Packer, a meeting that involved fourteen-year-old Marissa being uprooted and moved half-way across the globe. Upon seeing my Dad's eyebrows, Marissa started hyperventilating, gasping out "Special meeting? What special meeting? Are you moving to Zimbabwe?"

But no, it was just Tyler humbly asking for me to be his bride. Tyler sat with my father on the couch and presented his good points. He loved me very much. He was working hard in school to become an educator with an educator's salary to support me. He was honest. He was a good man. My Dad listened to his case and kind of squirreled up his nose. Tyler was sure the answer was going to be no, but instead MY OWN FATHER said, "Are you sure you want her? She's kind of absent-minded."

Absent-minded? I prefer the description "so creative she has her fingers in many things and can't stop to deal with trifles like shoes." And anyone who has lived with me for longer than fifteen minutes can attest that living with me is an ADVENTURE. Who knows when we're going to leave somewhere because Laura can't find her keys? They could be anywhere! Let's play find Laura's wallet! See? It's fun.

This "so creative she has her fingers in many things and can't stop to deal with trifles like shoes" aura I have about me leads to interesting experiences for my children. Talmage is already infinitely more put together than I am, remembering what we need to return to people's houses as we walk out the door. Keys (cheese) was one of his first words because we spent large chunks of the day looking for them. And recently he approached me beaming with excitement saying, "Look, Mom! My socks are same-sames!" And I thought, "What a happy child you would be if Maquel were your mom. Or Chandra. Or Barbara. Or Sarah. Or any other mother besides me who regularly dresses their children in matching clothing."

On Teacher Appreciation Day, Chipotle Mexican Grill offered educators free burritos. Tyler and I decided to take advantage of the delicious fresh mex. We loaded the boys up in the car and I took the wheel and started to drive. I was just out of the driveway when I turned to Tyler and asked, "So, where to?" Tyler said, "I thought you would know where it was." I said, "Nope, you're the one who told me it was in Sugarhouse." How would you respond to this situation? Go inside and look it up in the phone book? Call sister who knows where the restaurant is? Check it out on Google Earth? How did I respond? "Ahh, Sugarhouse is only covers a couple mile radius. I'm sure we'll find it." Exciting right? Adventure! Living with Laura is FUN.

Twenty minutes later, after driving the length of 2100 S., 1300 E., and Highland Drive, as well as Wilmington Ave and Sugarmont Drive, we pulled into Shopko where I looked up the address. "Are we there yet?" Talmage intoned. "If you had any other mother, we would be," Tyler assured him. "But with yours, it'll be fifteen more minutes. And that's if you're lucky."

3 comments:

  1. I think Tyler's ADD far outweighs your "absent-mindedness" in creating problematic situations.

    By they way, I love your new banner. Especially with the white background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I need something good to read or a fun video to watch, I always find it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, it's been over five years since I've spoken with you and I can hear your voice and the intonation as I read. I'm laughing aloud in a plane full of people. I'm sure that they think I am insane (or watching a really good YouTube video). They might even want to send me out the emergency exit

    Anyway, LAURA AND TYLER, I love finding you and your additions. What a family!

    I'm moving to SLC from DC for three months, starting... tomorrow. I would love to see you. Drop me a line on my blog or email me. evamarie.jill@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete