Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My New Year's Ruminations

So, I'm typing this while sitting in my living room, staring at my mantlepiece with the letters N O E L displayed proudly. These festive greetings are surrounded by glittery bows and gold and red baubles. Hanging from the mantle are four green and red stockings. One for Daddy, one for Mommy, one for Talmage, and one for Asher. There is also a basket of Christmas books. And a large Santa Claus.

And you know what? I have no immediate plans to take the decorations down.

The tree went down December 26. That is because the tree died circa November 28. Tyler has a tally of trees I keep alive vs. trees I kill. The way he figures, I've got one more year before he nips the fire hazard in the bud and buys a fake tree. The way I figure, Santa Claus will be placing a lump of coal in his stocking. But of course that threat looses it's teeth when it's January 20. Which brings us back to my original point: It's January 20 and I still haven't undecorated my house.

On a semi-related note, I didn't make New Years Resolutions this year. Not that I don't believe in change, because I do. Is it arrogant to say that I'm pretty satisfied with my life right now? I feel like I achieved a pretty good balance this year and I'm satisfied with my health habits, my spiritual habits, and my mothering habits. That my be the first time in my life I can really say that. Well, now that I think about it, I could probably make better goals in my serving others habits. And maybe some better dog-owner habits. Perhaps I could establish better wifely habits. My housekeeping habits could always use some work. I guess I could blog a little more frequently.

And maybe I could take down the Christmas decorations. But you know what? For tonight I going to choose to be satisfied. I'm going to embrace this Wednesday night when I feel balanced. I might even put on a little "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas." I'll talk to you about the ornaments come February.

1 comment:

  1. One year in college my roommates and I kept our tree up until Valentine's Day. It works. Valentine's Day is red. Christmas decorations are red. And you know what? You could even go until March, St. Patrick's Day is green ....

    ReplyDelete