I'm a frequent attender of the zoo, frequent enough that when you ask Talmage what his favorite animal is, he'll say, "The rides." See, the animals are all old-hat, and Talmage's preferred path through the zoo would start with the giant granite globe-shaped fountain, then hit the playground with the green slide, head on over to the gift shop (a mysterious place full of marvelous wonders, made even more mysterious by the fact that I've never let him linger there for more than 3.7 seconds), a beeline to the carousel, a hot dog by the tigers (not that he has any interest in the tiger, just the hot dog. And while we're at it, we might as well get a lemonade and an ice cream), then head on back to the entrance for a train ride before we go. Unfortunately for him, I'm the tender-hearted animal lover in my family, and I was raised by David "Don't worry that we're going 78 mph, I can just turn right around to read the sign accompanying that historical marker" Paulsen and I like to read all the text placed by every exhibit several times a week. This also makes me the foremost non-zoo-employee expert about the Hogle Zoo, and if you want to hear something fascinating (read, listen to a 20 minute lecture) ask me about the giraffes some time. (They have a 25 lb heart. TWENTY-FIVE POUNDS.)
The zoo achieved special status this week in the "People and/or Organizations That I've Said No To Because I'm Not Yet Ready to Commit to A Position Strongly Enough to Post Your Campaign Sign in My Front Yard." There are eight other members of this club. This says several things about me. One, I really need to figure out what the issues in the upcoming campaign are. Two, I really need to figure out what I feel about these issues. Three, my yard must look KILLER due to the regrown grass I planted last spring (see here) if so many people want me to showcase them. Or at least I like to think so.
Hogle Zoo is seeking approval for a 33 million dollar bond to be given and used over the next 30 years to improve the zoo, including a polar bear exhibit, an new African safari exhibit and other various projects. Interestingly, Tyler's only comment when I shared this info with him was, "They don't even have any polar bears." He apparently isn't a three times a week zoo lover like I am.
Tracy Aviary is also seeking additional funding. I have two thoughts about these campaigns. One, though I'm not ready to display my commitment through lawn signs, I think these are valuable causes and worth studying out. Two, as their website points out, the Tracy Aviary is a valuable, valuable gem that needs to be preserved:
"Tracy Aviary is a jewel unlike almost anything in the nation – right here in Salt Lake County.
One of only two public aviaries in the entire country
The only public aviary west of the Mississippi
The oldest and largest public aviary in the nation"
As noted above, it is one of only two public aviaries. TWO. Also, it is the only public aviary west of the Mississippi. As it is only one of two, the other public aviary is located east of the Mississippi. Tracy Aviary is the oldest and largest public aviary in the nation. Meaning that the other aviary--the one that is located east of the Mississippi--is newer and smaller.
Okay, maybe I'm the only person who finds that funny.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twenty-five pounds? Whoa.
ReplyDeleteZoo memberships are fun!
I think it's fuuny.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was funny, too. I laughed out loud and I read the whole thing in your voice which made it even more funny.
ReplyDelete