Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fablehaven, Harry Potter VI and VII, and Second Growth



It became apparent to me how long it's been since I posted when I realized how many books behind I am.

I read the Fablehaven series (twice). They are delightful. And the third in the series is fantastic. Brandon Mull, in the introduction to his fourth book, thanks those who recommend his books on their blogs.

I officially recommend them.

You're welcome Mr. Mull.



I saw the movie and realized that I had forgotten major plot points, so I read Harry Potter 6 and 7 again. They are wonderful. Better than I remembered.

And I believe our next son (if we have another son) will be named Severus.



I just had a reaffirmation of why I enjoy writing about books on my blog.

This book is about a small and stagnant New England town, mired in its history, mired in its prejudices, and mired in a lack of change. There is a several decade feud between the villagers and the visitors, those who admire the town because it is quaint and picturesque, and those who resent being called quaint and picturesque. The narrative follows three protagonists, all who find the town a trap. It ends with a town tragedy, a tragedy which liberates some, but only at terrifying costs.

Anyway, as I getting ready to post this, I did a google image search on "second growth" and came up with all sorts of pictures of second growth forests, forests that regrow after a major disaster, like a forest fire, an insect infestation, or something else that seems to devastate the area. Looking at the pictures, I finally got the whole metaphor for the book (the village that can regenerate once the history, prejudices, and stagnancy have been burned and infested). Even more shocking, is that I didn't even realize I had missed the metaphor.

I enjoy having this space to stop and to reflect and to construct meaning out of the minutia of books. I enjoy having this space to stop and to reflect and to construct meaning out of the minutia of life. Hooray for blogs.

2 comments:

  1. I'll try the rest of the series.

    Ditto on Harry Potter.

    Ditto on blogs.

    Hurray for Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about missing major plot points in HP. Apparently whoever wrote the screenplay for the latest movie did too. :)

    ReplyDelete