Wednesday, August 26, 2009

It's Really In Your Best Interest if You Honor My Quarantine Rules and Stay Home

We are all sick. Very, very sick.

Except for Tyler, which is obnoxious because he, as an elementary school teacher/administrator/whatever he is right now, he should be the one bringing home all the diseases. Actually, maybe he is bringing home the diseases but is encased in a protective bubble of immunity so that just me and the children get sick.

I think I'm on to something.

Anyway, we are sick, and as you well know if you know me at all, I get sicker than the average person. There are times when I am the toughest girl you know. Hiking Mt. Olympus, maybe. Spitting out argumentative essays. Grading those same argumentative essays. Being sick, however? I'm more the wussiest girl you know, wussier than a four-year-old made to walk around the block while drawing on bent paper. THE HORROR!! I believe that modern medicine excuses me from all responsibilities and tells me that I am sick, I am very sick, and I need to get into bed and cry about the injustice of viral infections. And I mean that crying literally. Yesterday, I was in bed reading the Ensign about Joseph Smith in the Liberty Jail what with the cold and the starvation and the poison and the delirium, and I thought, I understand. This cold is meant to be my trial.

Yes, I'm a little dramatic when I'm sick, too.

Anyway, the only thing more pathetic than me sick is little sick Asher. Poor baby. His little nose is constantly runny and that matches his constantly running, swollen baby eyes and he just looks pitiful. He looks up to me with that frantic look that says "What is this horrid feeling? And why won't you make it go away?" I wish I could say he's being a trooper, but the problem with being the happiest baby in the world is that it's very apparent when you are unhappy. Yesterday he was gnawing on the remote control and when I moved to take it out of his mouth, he screamed like I had poked him or scratched him or otherwise maimed him.

"Son," I said. "That was an overreaction."

Yep, I recognize the hypocrisy.

2 comments:

  1. Sick babies are so sad! And you can't really do anything for them, and they can't even watch old movies while they wait it out. Hope everyone is your household gets better soon!
    PS. I think it IS Tyler's fault. I have never caught so many colds in my life than the one semester I spent student teaching in a middle school. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    Funny that you remember that Gail was my 5th grade teacher (I must have told you how she didn't believe I had just broken my leg and she made me walk to the office by myself). Your postings on Michael Phelps' book and the screwdriver made me grin. Strange parallels in life - my whole family has been miserably ill and I just finished JS:Rough Stone Rolling.

    Ryan Candland

    ReplyDelete