Monday, November 30, 2009

My Children's Talents

Asher loves nursing. Like we used to say about Talmage and puzzles, it's his gift. If there were an Olympic nursing event, Asher would take at least the bronze, only falling behind the competitors from South America who suckle well into their fourth and fifth years.

(Do you ever have a vision of your son grown up to a fourteen year old and he has a crush on a girl who has a crush on him who then googles his name and comes up with "Asher loves nursing?" Hmm. That's not really my intended audience. Note to self: apologize to Asher circa 2023.)

I enjoy feeding my child, too. I love when he becomes all lips and gums and little fists and fingers that run gently through my hair. I love kissing his milky mouth as he sighs himself to sleep, tummy full and content. I love his yummy thighs, nibbling his rolls left from fatty milk. I love that my baby, whose personality is so far just like his active brother, calms and snuggles and nuzzles while he nurses.

The only real problem is that I'd like for him to love reading, too. I know, I know. My child is nine and a half months old. It's a little early to be worried. But early on in mothering I decided not worry about classes and learning centers and the like, but focus on reading to my child everyday. And with Talmage, I accomplished that with reading before bed. Asher, on the other hand, will get through "Ants await" and "Bumblebees blow balloons" of Miss Spider's ABCs but by the time I read "Caterpillars circle" Asher has wiggled himself prostrate in my arms, facing my tummy and when I'm trying to say "Dragonfly decorations" he's whining "nuh, nuh, nuh, nuh, nuh!" I haven't hit "Earthworms entertain" for quite some time.

I'd like to take this opportunity to brag about Talmage. We are currently reading Harry Potter with him. Why yes, he is only four. I'd like to tell you that he grasps the intricate plot lines and is growing with the characters. I'd like to tell you that he ponders the themes of life, death, and resurrection and Voldemort's "flight from death." I'd like to credit this all to the fact that I've read to him every day of his life. But I'd be lying. His love of Harry Potter is due to the fact that while my goal was to instill a love of reading, his father's goal was to instill a love of calculators. Besides his Nikon, movie editing, and moon data, there are few things Tyler loves more than tickling his Texas Instruments. And Talmage current favorite game is to push the + sign on the calculator, watching the numbers count from one to one thousand. Truth is, Talmage loves Harry Potter because HE LIKES WHEN WE TURN THE PAGE TO THE NEXT NUMBER. I feel like I should personally apologize to Dumbledore.

Maybe when I wean Asher we could get him attached to comfort foods. Yeah, that's it. He'll be a champion pie eater. And he'll be GREAT at it.

2 comments:

  1. Is Asher always so idyllic when he nurses, or is that literary license you're employing? Owen is as likely to pull my hair by its roots than run his fingers through it, and he loves grabbing my glasses and yanking on my nose (and twisting). Generally, the more tired he is, the calmer he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asher has sort of a hair fetish. He likes to play with my hair (since his is so conspicuously absent) while he falls asleep, so he really does run his fingers through it.

    But there's plenty of eye poking, eyelash pulling, nose tweaking, and mouth fingering in nursing, too. And biting. Did I mention biting?

    ReplyDelete