We moved into this neighborhood a couple years ago and I started running at the rec center about six months ago. We're still relatively new, but we've been around long enough that I recognize a handful of people at the gym. Hi Egberts! You look good on that elliptical Jackie! Hi Jason! How's Leah feeling this morning? Hey Passeys! Hope you are doing well! Hi Guy-Who-Lives-Around-the-Corner-From-Me! How are you? Early workout, eh? That sort of thing. Delivered brightly with a big smile.
I kept up these kind of pleasantries every morning. In fact, one morning when it was about 14 degrees outside I saw Guy-Who-Lives-Around-the-Corner-From-Me on his hands and knees in the parking lot, looking for his keys. I pulled over and asked if he needed a ride home. You know. Neighborly. He said he was okay.
This cheerful banter continued for about a month until one Sunday at church when I saw the actual guy who lives around the corner from me. His name is Brent and he is a couple decades older than Guy-Who-Doesn't-Live-Around-the-Corner-From-Me-But-Looks-a-Little-Like-Brent-Who-Lives-Around-the-Corner-From-Me. And then I realized that I didn't know the man I'd been making small talk with every morning at the gym. And then I realized that I had rolled down my car window, leaned out, and suggestively offered him a ride. My stomach sank. I informed Tyler that I had been unintentionally flirting with some guy at the gym.
I tried to turn down the friendly until one morning when he parked himself at the stairclimber directly by the cardio room exit. I sensed he was ready to make his move. "Hey!" he stopped me as I was on my way out. I immediately launched into an awkward explanation in which I emphasized way too many times that I thought he was my neighbor:
"Hey yourself! So funny story! When we first met I thought you were my neighbor! You're not my neighbor, though. And yes, he's a very nice guy. But you are not my neighbor. Which I thought you were. Which is why I was saying hi. Cause I thought you were my neighbor. Yes I did offer you a ride. Because I thought you were my neighbor. So to sum up, I thought you were my neighbor. I know it seemed like I was flirting with you, but I wasn't. Because I thought you were my neighbor. Doesn't count as flirting. Because of the neighbor assumption. Which I thought you were."
Anyway. Tyler bought me a wedding ring for Valentine's Day.
This made me snort.
ReplyDeleteHahahaha!
ReplyDelete