Saturday, June 21, 2008

Written With a Fresh Sunburn Kissing My Cheeks

Yesterday, Tyler, Talmage, Nana, Papa, Marissa, Luke, and I (count them, that's SIX adults and one toddler with a car seat) piled in my dad's Ford Explorer for what will be forever known as Care Bears Caravan 2008. We are vacationing in southern California with my family and considering the cramped conditions, it was a surprisingly pleasant 12 hour road trip. Talmage watched 12 straight hours of "shows" and Care Bears Oopsie Does It came up far more than it ever should have. "This my favorite show," Talmage interjected repeatedly--a judgment of quality largely based on the sparkly pink DVD case. "This pretty, Mommy."

So far we've had a fantastic trip, filled with several hours at the pool, home for lunch, then several hours at the beach. The only confusing part of the trip is "Where'd Disneyland go?" something that has greatly concerned Talmage for the last 48 hours. Before we left, we just kept responding, "Anaheim." This satisfied him, but after we got in the car to go, Talmage was ready to be there:

"This Disneyland?"

"No, Talmage. This is Costco in Murray."

"This Disneyland?"

"No, Talmage. This is Costco in St. George."

"This Disneyland?"

"No, Talmage. This is Costco in Las Vegas."

"This Disneyland?"

"No, Talmage. This is Costco in Victorville."

We can learn two things from this exchange. One, Talmage equates parking lots with amusement parks--not a bad assumption. Two, my dad, in a characteristic stretch of frugality, had printed off the locations of every Costco from Salt Lake to Newport, California in order to save money on gas. When we pulled into our condo, Talmage asked, "This Disneyland?" And we answered, "For all intents and purposes, YES."

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday on Tuesday! May all your Costco's be Disneyland's!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are planning on Disneyland in July. Can I trick them with a trip to the Costco parking lot? I'm gonna give it a shot (I'll throw in a berry slushy for good measure)

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have so much fun Laura! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's Jack Handy's thoughts about Disneyland:
    One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.

    ReplyDelete