So, I teach gospel doctrine in my ward--a calling I really enjoy and one that actually comes fairly easy to me. I've always felt pretty confident in the calling and felt others enjoy my lessons, but now I'm not so sure:
Kind Elderly Gentleman: Lori!
Me: Yes?
Kind Elderly Gentleman: Lori, I have the greatest idea!
Me: What's that?
Kind Elderly Gentleman: Well, today I was so torn during Sunday School because both Bishop Ence and Bishop Williams were teaching and I couldn't decide which lesson to go to.
Me: They are both excellent teachers.
Kind Elderly Gentleman: Right. Well, I was thinking how we have two women teaching one week and two men teaching the next week, and I thought, why not have one woman teach the same time as one man so no one would be torn?
Me: So I'm guessing you wouldn't feel torn to go to my lesson?
Kind Elderly Gentleman: Well, you teach well, too. But they've both been bishops.
Me: True, I haven't been a bishop yet.
Kind Elderly Gentleman: That way, if you want to hear a woman teacher, you could go hear a woman, and the rest of us could go hear a man teacher.
Me: Genius.
Kind Elderly Gentleman: So, I talked to Bishop Taylor about it today, so you plan on getting a phone call this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, that's all I have to say...wow.
ReplyDeleteHmmm. Maybe you should change your title to "Why You Can Get Offended by the Elderly Who Still Live in a Gender Segregated World but Still Shouldn't."
ReplyDeleteI'd LOVE to hear one of your lessons someday. I bet you're awesome!
Ha ha. Did you get the phone call yet? :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you're fabulous, and better than many a gospel doctrine teacher I've had in the past...
Tyler told me who the Kind Elderly Gentleman was. Knowing that, I must say I'm not too shocked, but it is hard to imagine that anyone could be so tactless. Pretty funny, though.
ReplyDeleteI am dying that you didn't correct him. Ahem . . . I am LAURA NOT LORI! And how funny it is that sometimes people really do have to just say what they are thinking! OH BELIEVE ME! I KNOW IT RIGHT ABOUT NOW!
ReplyDeleteI love it and I know I am bad, but I want to know who????? I think you are FAB! I would always pick you, I was glad I got to hear your lesson this last time as my class I teach was cancelled for the week.
ReplyDeleteWas it Lynn Roberts? He always calls me Marty. Ahh, I guess you haven't been a bishop so they can just release you now. No need to continue to give everyone such a difficult dilemma. Personally I would choose you any day. You are a genius!!
ReplyDeleteDon't blame the old people for becoming more disinhibited with age. Blame the frontal lobe dementia.
ReplyDelete