
Talmage just said, "Mom, I like you so much." That's why I had children. For the love.
I read Love That Dog by Sharon Creech a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. This is pretty much the same book. Creech uses a fun format--writing from the perspective of a ten year old who is learning about poetry. The boy's poems compose the novel. I loved the ideas of the first book, that you learn about yourself and experiences by writing about them (that's the main reason I write about books on this blog--because I know what I think about the books when I write about them). It also brought back my love for poetry, a love that kind of got quashed when I spent all my time writing argumentatively. I think I need to throw more books of poetry into my reading list. Any suggestions?
This book explored some of the tools for writing poetry--figurative language, meter, etc. I also liked that the boy changes his opinion during the year; as he writes about an idea he finds that idea evolving.
My favorite poem in the book is inspired by Alfred Lord Tennyson:
The Kitten
She pats the package with padded paws
and pulls apart the golden gauze
with her tiny furry jaws.
The like an acrobat she leaps
legs and ribbon in a heap
tangled round and tangled deep.
I like words.
I do want to read Walk Two Moons now. Creech won a Newberry for that book and I've heard many people recommend it.
Okay, that's all.
I loved Walk Two Moons. But now I've forgotten it. I have a random memory of books. I just remember that I loved it.
ReplyDeleteI'm catching up on your blog..definitely read Walk Two Moons! And I don't think I ever played U2 around you... :) I do recall loudly singing along with the soundtrack of the musical Jekyll and Hyde over the edge of the balcony, though. Yikes.
ReplyDelete