Monday, December 1, 2008

Last Christmas You Gave Me Your Heart; The Very Next Day I Gave It Away

I've had some questions on the Christmas tree.

Tyler and I are approaching our seventh Christmas as a married couple. There are a couple of unresolved differences in our marriage. I would like him to eat wheat bread. He'd like me to leave him alone about the white bread. I'd like him to care just a little bit less about football (I know, that's blasphemous). He'd like me to be grateful he's not into baseball.

And most importantly right now, I'd like a real Christmas tree. Tyler would like a fake one.

Last year when we were poor teachers, I caved and we borrowed a fake tree. It was fine and I was grateful we had any tree at all, even though faking a tree is kind of like faking Christmas. This year we are wealthy teachers, and I knew that we were back to piney business as usual. Tyler, however, took last year as a precedent and assumed we were buying our own artificial holiday.

Our conversation sounded a bit like a father and a daughter when the daughter desperately wants a puppy (a conversation I happen to remember a lot about).

"But we kill it every year."
"I won't this year, I promise. I'll water it and love it and take it on a walk everyday."
"It will be a fire hazard."
"It won't. I promise, promise, promise."

Tyler's infallible logic was working until I whipped up a fresh batch of tears.

We bought a real tree.

And, as a note to anyone who comments on this, if you try to tell me how much more practical fake trees are, I wish you a lump of coal in your stocking.

This weekend we also pulled out the Christmas playlist, and I have, for your reading pleasure, my top best and worst Christmas songs.

BEST:
5. "Oh Savior Thou Who Wearest a Crown of Piercing Thorns." It's in the hymn book. Apparently 15 years long friends are picky about how this is an Easter song. Fine. I change this one to "Coventry Carol."
4. "Baby It's Cold Outside." I'm kind of partial to the Ella Fitzgerald version.
3. Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLaughlan sing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings."
2. Jack Johnson sings "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer."
1. Mannheim Steamroller doing "Silent Night." Whatever happened to those guys?

WORST:
4. "Oh Holy Night." Any version. Except maybe the version Denise Williams sings during the church Christmas meeting.
3. Neil Diamond sings anything Christmas. This probably has more to do with my general disdain for Neil Diamond, a disdain Tyler calls un-American.
2. Michael McLean's Forgotten Carols. I'm sorry; I'm sure it's a Christmas tradition in your family. But go listen to "I Cry the Day That I Take the Tree Down" and then tell me with a straight face that it belongs with the likes of Bing Crosby and Karen Carpenter.

And finally, the number one worst Christmas song:

1. John Lennon and Yoko Ono's "Happy Christmas." Bleh. Somehow worse in Portuguese.

15 comments:

  1. Reid and Christine FamilyDecember 1, 2008 at 9:14 AM

    HEY!!!!!! I LOVE "Oh Holy Night." It's my favorite. If you dis my favorite song I may have to dis you wonderful smelling REAL tree. {We have a fake one and LOVE it} (I know. . .I'll expect a lump of coal this year)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year we have this debate. So far we are going with the free fake tree that was handed down to us. ;-) I love reading your blog for so many reasons--mostly because of your sense of humor and wit. I wish we were closer and could get our little families together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a fake tree and I really miss the picking it out, and the pine smell, I always have to buy a real garland which is probably worse of a fire hazard cuz you can't water it. I think it is kind of weird for a Jewish guy(Neil Diamond)to sing Christmas songs, I feel that way about Barbara Striesand singing Christmas as well. I have nothing against Jewish people though don't get me wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you didn't have one Karen Carpenter song on the "best" list. That is blasphemous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want coal so I won't give you my personal preference! I do agree with you on wheat bread, and I don't really give my husband a choice. ;) But thank you for the funny post, I love the line about a fake tree being like faking Christmas--I laughed out loud and my kids looked at me like I'm crazy. You could go the route of my husband's family--get a real tree but don't kill it. It's a win-win situation that will keep you from wanting "real trees" every year! We did it once and the tree is growing in our back yard :) It stayed outside for all but one week, was very heavy to bring inside, I had to remember to keep it watered with ice cubes....great fun. I now have a fake one that I don't have to string lights through (what a great invention!). Jason's mom lasted longer than I did, I think they have 5 of their Christmas trees in their back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The worst for me: "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer". Wasn't even funny the first time.

    My fav: Evie Tornquist-Karlsson "One Small Child".

    I'm stumped about "Oh Holy Night" among your least favorites but otherwise agree with the others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 comments:
    1. Regarding "O Holy Night", clearly you've overlooked the Homer Simpson version, and I know for a fact you are no Simpsons hater. ("That Homer's going to make me a million dollars." "Hey, my voice just changed!")
    2. Fake trees with pre-strung lights are way easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You asked, "...whatever happened to those guys?" referring to Mannheim Steamroller (aka Chip Davis, Fresh Aire, etc)? He released two Christmas CD's last year (one was a 3 disk set) and two more this year. They're still around and cranking them out, in other words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe you are ragging on "Oh Holy Night" and the somewhat doctrinally incorrect Forgotten Carols. Mannaheim Steamroller are coming to Charlotte in a few weeks and I am 100% dedicated to your cause on real Christmas trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know we are related not only because we share some similiar DNA but because we also feel the same way about several items posted:
    1. Wheat bread issues
    2. Football issues
    3. Neil Diamond issues
    4. "Forgotten Carols" issues
    I;m glad you got your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, just so you know, Christmas music starts on page 201, and easter starts on page 197. I am very sensitive about what is truly a christmas song, and I am hating to break it to you, but hymn 197 is clearly an easter song and thusly not a christmas song. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. laura- you are seriously so funny and entertaining to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. real tree. . .absolutely
    wheat bread. . . of course
    Neil Diamond. . . Are you crazy! I think we know who should be expecting coal now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so excited about your favorite christmas songs I went and downloaded all of them. They are a great addition to my christams music playlist. Thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay obviously I was typing way too fast for my brain to keep up. I really do know how to spell christmas.:)

    ReplyDelete