Sunday, October 18, 2009

Books, books, more books.



Do I admit I read this book? Yep.



This book is wonderful and I'll tell you why. It made me feel smart.

That was Marissa's reaction too. It also made me feel like I wished I rented foreign Asian films and read Proust on the sly. Besides in teaching (and I guess my general views on art) I've never needed to access all the theory I learned in grad school since grad school. Until now. I felt very learned. And that's learned pronounced learn-ed.

That said, you don't need to have read any previous theory to appreciate this story. It was written by someone who teaches philosophy, but she mainstreams it in a beautiful tale about people and classes and how our lives intersect.

This is my favorite quote from the younger narrator, a girl who learns much from her association with the older narrator, which I find lovely (I also have a renewed desire to use the word "lovely"):

If you want to understand my family, all you have to do is look at the cats. Our two cats are fat windbags who eat designer kibble and have no interesting interaction with human beings. The only purpose of cats is that they constitute mobile decorative objects, a concept which I find intellectually interesting, but unfortunately our cats have such drooping bellies that this does not apply to them. My mother, who has read all of Balzac and quotes Flaubert at every dinner, is living proof every day of how education is a raving fraud. All you need to do is watch her with the cats. She's vaguely aware of their decorative potential, and yet she insists on talking to them as if they were people, which she would never do with a lamp or an Etruscan statue.

I think this is my favorite book I've read of late.



Father-in-law and I enjoy discussing books. I asked him his nonfiction to fiction ratio. He told me he was about 50/50. I thought about it and realize that to every 50 fiction I read, I read roughly 1.3 nonfiction books, with .5 of that being a book of scientific/historical/economic analysis and the rest of the category being made up by essays.

I present to you my one nonfiction of the year.

The Tipping Point was highly entertaining. I've found myself thinking about the examples that illustrate his principles a lot, especially the "broken windows" theory, where NYC cleaned up violent crime on the subways by cleaning and repairing the cars, and how Blue's Clues improved on Sesame Street by taking out the humor aimed to adults (I originally wrote adult humor, but that doesn't seem quite right) and instead inserted pregnant toddler pauses while the narrator waits for the audience to respond.

But I don't really have anything interesting to add to his theories which have become common jargon, so here was my other impression. As I read Malcolm Gladwell's theories I pictured a gentle old man who kindly picks apart society and societal theories in an English accent. I turned the last page of the book to find this guy staring at me:



I was frustrated enough that I wanted to read the whole book again so that I could hear the theories from the afro man. I'll be better prepared when I read Outliers sometime next year.

Also, Sean is my maven. Unless we're talking high-performance jackets. Then it's Scott.





I'm going to post about these books together because they were essentially two sections of the same book. Which is my thought on the books. Teen literature has changed since I was a teen. Namely, there is literature for teens now. When I was a teen I read essentially the same thing I read now. Which is just about anything.

But now there's celebrity authors with audiences who go crazy at books signings, and series that play with your emotions because, no matter how fast you can read, you have to wait months to find out the end of the story. I'm sure this is all Harry Potter backlash. Which I think is a wonderful thing. So many more people seem to love to read who didn't before, even if it means I have to go to midnight release parties, just to find out how the story ends.

My other thought? See, I told you. Reality TV shows are evil.

Maybe you'll get a better review of the book when the last book in the series comes out. Now you have a small taste of the frustration I feel for being stuck in the middle of three teen fiction series.



This book made me feel that I was the target audience for this poster:



And then I decided that it was time to read another Pulitzer.



You know, with a name like Jane Smiley, you'd think she'd write a happier book.

As I read the whole book, I just kept thinking "Man, this story is just tragic. Death, destruction, the whole nine yards. A veritable tragedy." And then when I was done, I looked up the movie that was based on this book and saw references to King Lear. And then I felt dumb. It's not just tragic, it's a rewriting of the ultimate tragedy.

Then my summation of the book was more positive, because I could escape from the emotion of the book and could recognize how incredible it was.

Also, I was amazed at how well Smiley portrays the events from Ginny's mindset, an unpredictable and not quite trustworthy point of view, but one that makes you feel the precariousness of the situation and the after effects of abuse.



If you think Dave Barry is funny here, you should read this book. Entertaining, delightful, deliciously evil, and oh so hilarious.

And quick to read. This would be a good one to read as a family.



Well, I'm not actually done with this book, but I figured it might as well make this entry as the the next one.

I'm reading this book because I want to be as cool as Sue. My neighbor is a very impressive person. She'd be the first person to say she isn't. She really is though.

I heard about Sue Maidenname all the time when I started running with the Howe family because Sue is a world-class runner. She ran track for BYU and Gail was always say, "Sue Maidenname says this and Sue Maidenname says that," and I set a goal to become a runner like Sue Maidenname. A few years after that, Sue moved into our ward and I met her in the mothers' nursing room. She introduced herself as Sue Marriedname and told me that she heard I had run a marathon. "I don't know how you can run that far," Sue told me with graceful self effacing. "I think that's amazing." I nearly put my arm around her as I condescended "Oh Sue, sure you could. If you just run every day, I'm sure you could make it."

It was in her talk an hour later that she introduced herself as Sue Marriedname, formerly Sue Maidenname when I realized what I had done, I had essentially told Michael Jordan that as long as he put his mind to it, I'm sure he'd get better at his free throws.

Anyway, Sue is also very intelligent, the kind of girl who quietly makes the comment that cuts to the seminal issue of the story after listening to me blather on about nothing for two hours.

What's my point? Sue wanted to know what I think about Brian Doyle. So I'm reading him. I'm only mildly tempted to parrot what the New York Times says about his essays.

So far they're pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED The Tipping Point...you'd enjoy Blink as well, although I thought the first was the best. I try to read one non-fiction and one fiction at a time (although I progress through the fiction much faster!) Most recent good non-fiction....Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do and What It Says About Us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This so easily could have been multiple entries to pull up our average. What a blown opportunity!

    ReplyDelete