Monday, April 26, 2010

Chess

I'm sorry to go directly against Laura's posting boycott and ruin what, otherwise, could have been the boringest month in Howe Thoughts history. But, this one was too good to pass up.

As an offshoot of his Stratego obsession, Talmage has recently enquired about chess. He found a chess set at Papa's house. I tried to convince him it wasn't the right game for him by telling him that's a game for twenty-year olds. He insisted, so I taught him the best I knew how. I had to keep running to Papa to ask the rules.

After his second game (and second defeat) featured in this video, Talmage regained his composure by saying, "Maybe you keep beating me because you're over twenty, and I'm not yet."

"Maybe that's right," I answered.


4 comments:

  1. Breaks my heart. I mean, I know we're all for letting him learn that sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, that those are the breaks, but the poor kid's playing CHESS, for heaven's sake.

    Can't you let an under-twenty-old beat you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sweetest thing ever! It makes me want to rescue Talmage from his evil dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Mix of emotions here! Sorry for Talmage for losing, proud of Talmage for learning, mad at Tyler for being merciless, proud of Tyler for his awesome videoing skills, jealous of Talmage for actually knowing how to play chess because I don't...etc etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video, but with a sad ending.

    ReplyDelete