So I stirred up a bit of controversy over my least favorite Christmas songs. Particularly "Oh Holy Night." But please, the two octave cresendo? The drama of it all? It fits if you are an opera singer, but if you are Jessica Simpson, you have no business singing that song. I know this is blasphemous, particularly as my best friend Shelley fell in love with at least three boys who sang that song for her. Let's face it, Shelley. Steve Wilken had no business singing that song.
But while I'm in the doghouse, I thought I'd stir the pot a bit and name my top five overrated bands of all time.
5. Queen. I was born in the 80s, raised on the 60s and 70s. Only if you listen to Arrow 103.5 do you know that that line has to be said with all the drama mustered by the preview announcer detailing a Bruce Willis movie. Because in a world where music is of great importance, one era stands alone. THIS is classic rock. (Props to Robert Porter and Buttonhooked who I just stole that line from.) And half the time that I turn to that classic rock station, Freddie Mercury is belting a sports ballad.
Let it be known, this girl has had enough "We Will Rock You."
4. Neil Diamond. I'm pretty sure that my father-in-law just stood up from the computer and vowed never to talk to me. Not my husband though. I think he'll stay with me for Talmage's sake. HE'S NOT SINGING, PEOPLE, HE'S TALKING.
Maybe if he wrote a classic song about a girl named Laura that the Boston Red Sox fans sang at every game. Nope, not even then.
3. Dave Matthews Band. I know they're pretty much defunct, what with the death of their saxophonist, but I didn't understand their lack of melody. Which is ironic, because I'm just fine with progressive rock. Although maybe just Jethro Tull; I've never been a huge Rush fan. Didn't get Dave Matthews Band then, don't get it now. Maybe it was the saxophone. Something Kenny G-ish.
2. Coldplay. I know, I know, they've been hailed as the next U2. But every time I hear the beginning of "Clocks," I feel like I'm hearing the same high pitched incessant noise that I can't shake out of my head. "Viva la Vida" is okay, though. Might as well throw them a bone.
And the number one overrated band:
1. U2. And I'm pretty sure that my brother-in-law Jason has just stood up and left the computer, vowing to never talk to me again. After all, Jason did give me the Greatest Present You Could Ever Receive, the album The Best of 1990-2000, the limited edition PLUS the B-sides PLUS the bonus DVD. And if you go to the music store right now and ask for the limited edition they will laugh. In your face. And my opinion on U2's overratedness in no way diminishes how AWESOME that gift was and is and HOW MUCH I enjoy it. It's just that every roommate I ever had in college had Joshua Tree on repeat. All day. All night. All semester. Now I like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" as much as the next girl (not as much as Jason. I'd never claim that). But how else do you explain how "With or Without You" was Skyline High School's 1997 Senior Prom theme? How does that make teenage romantic sense?
There's only one answer. The overratedness.
* I think I came off as more offensive than funny in this post. I hope I didn't make anyone feel awkward. I apologize if I did.
Friday, December 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your entire list except for U2. C'mon, how many other bands have been around as long and still produce new stuff?
ReplyDeleteAnd as your roommate, I did NOT have Joshua Tree on repeat all the time. In fact, I think by the time you were my roommate, my brother was back from his mission and I had to return his U2 collection. It was a good 2 years, though.
I had never thought about it, but as I read this I have to say that I mostly agree with you, sort of. But come on, of all U2's songs to like you had to choose "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"? Are there even any other lyrics in that song? Boring.
ReplyDeleteYou know the Dave Matthews Band is from Charlottesville, VA...home of our alma mater and one of our favorite places to live (4 years for me, 7 years for Matt)...I'm trying not to be offended :) :)
ReplyDeleteFortunately, neither your father-in-law nor your brother-in-law have been offended. You may have formed quite the cult following for yourself, but don't flatter yourself to believe my dad and brother ever read this. Lucky you!
ReplyDeleteAnd, just to be obnoxious:
It's whom I just stole that line from, not who I just stole that line from
Love ya!
I think I'm sensing more sour-grapes than overratedness with the U2 entry.
ReplyDeleteI thought you came off as quite hilarious!!
ReplyDeleteI hope you didn't think I was offended. I'm afraid that my attempts to be humorous often fail.
ReplyDeleteWell, here's my two cents worth: I think Queen was just a glorified overproduced novelty band. I couldn't name a single song by The Dave Matthews Band or Coldplay. I've tried to like U2 simply because they're Irish and Bono has performed with The Corrs, one of my very favorites. I've always liked the tone of Neil's voice, but some of his lyrics make me cringe. "Song she sang to me, song she BRANG to me" or, how about "...no one heard at all not even the chair". In other words, I basically agree with you. In all fairness, how about a list of underrated artists?
ReplyDeleteThank you for bringing up Steve Wilkin, Laura.
ReplyDeleteVery funny. I don't take offense, I often offend when I say the Beatles & The Stones are way overratted!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad somebody mentioned the Beatles as being overrated, because I didn't want to be accused of being sacrilegious if I said it first. The Fab 4 wrote a ton of great songs, but I've always considered them rather mediocre at best as musicians. Last Spring, a Beatles imitation group called, Imagine: Remembering the Fab Four based out of SLC came to Vernal and rocked Uintah High School for an evening. They were fabulous and way better than the Beatles.
ReplyDeleteSince U2 has clearly gravitated to the center of controversy in this post, I'll go ahead and chime in. U2 became a front-runner for most overated band when I had to sit through a 5th period junior-year seminary class and listen to a group of girls gush on and on about Bono being "the ultimate male." I'll grant you that he's done some nice things with his fame. I'd rather listen to him talk about the world's problems from the world's stage then hear what Jennifer Anniston or Ben Affleck or that horrible Kathy Griffen think about Obama. However, I have a hard time being whelmed over U2 lyrics such as "I can't believe an Uzi just went off in my hand, 'cause I... I... believe in love."
ReplyDeleteAnd just a comment about the Beatles. Well a tangential comment, because Ringo is the luckiest man in rock. Any of his solo work or All-Star Band work may truly be the most overated in the music world. Or maybe it's Michael Bolton. Is that guy awful or what?
An unwritten rule in our carpool is that if Michael Bolton comes on, the driver is to immediately change the station.
ReplyDelete