Sunday, July 5, 2009

Our Little American Ambassador

We have wonderful Nepalese friends named Bhoj and Dipa. We met Bhoj last fall, when we decided to take part in a Be Friends to Foreign U of U Students program. Bhoj is pronounced Boze, or maybe it's Voze, or maybe Vojh. I'm still not certain, but since Bhoj smiles forgivingly when I try, I've stopped trying to get it just right. We've had Bhoj to dinner a couple of times and taken him hiking in what he calls our "hills." Apparently Mount Olympus has got nothin on Mount Everest.

Last weekend Bhoj's wife Dipa came to Salt Lake and they invited us to dinner. We talked with Talmage on the car ride to their apartment about proper guest etiquette. "Don't say you don't like something," we told him. "You're welcome to say you're all done if you don't want to eat something, but you can't say you don't like it." Talmage understood and assured us he would be gracious.

Dipa laid out a delectable feast of cilantro curry potatoes, spicy chicken, rice, and a sauce that I still can't quite identify. I enjoyed the savory spread, but was a bit worried when Talmage tried the first bite. Tyler and I waited cautiously as Talmage sampled the potatoes, screwing up his nose a bit.

Our fears were confirmed when he looked straight at Bhoj and said, "I'm not going to say I don't like it."

1 comment:

  1. first, i love your pictures of the day! Second, does your hubby teach photography? Me wants to learn. Third, there is a baby/kid picture contest on the magazine FIT PREGNANCY website, i am SURE that if anyone could have a picture beat mine, it would be Tyler :)

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete