Well, I did such a good job reading rationally with The Three Musketeers. This time, however, I had to read obsessively because I just wanted to get the book over with. Not that it wasn't a compelling or interesting book; I was just a little too emotional about it. Tyler brought it home after a recommendation from a fellow teacher saying it was about a school shooting, and I immediately rejected it because I know I'm too sensitive. However, we went camping this weekend, and I woke up an hour earlier than everyone else. Nothing to do but read the book.
It was an entertaining book; a bit of a thriller (it sometimes reminded me of my Jr. High Mary Higgins Clark obsession) but it raised interesting moral question at the same time. What's the role of popularity and appearances? What's the role of judgment in society and who has the right to judge?
I'm a little worried that I don't have what it takes to be a mom. I've become most torn up by the tendency of society to create outcasts. I've always been a sucker for the lost puppy or for the case that just needs someone to love them. Cipher in the Snow is still one of the most traumatic movies I've ever seen and I won't ever watch Dumbo. I worry about Talmage. What will happen if he isn't liked? What if he is rejected by his friends? Maybe worse, what if he rejects his friends? It's enough to make a mom want to home-school, except I really believe public school is a necessary but painful experience to help someone learn how to function successfully in society.
Talmage is big into making friends lately. Last week we went to the park, and he wanted to play with a group of five-year-old boys whom he immediately identified as "Talm's friends." He spent an hour chasing them around the park, yelling, "Talm's friends, WAIT!" I couldn't really fault the older boys who had no interest in a two year old. But my heart broke for two-year-old Talmage and worried about twelve-year-old Talmage. I really needed a hug.
Monday, April 21, 2008
Nineteen Minutes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Would you recommend it too a little sister who although not as sesative as you, pretty sensative? And also she's a school teacher? And also sometimes she invisions how sad it would be if she died (maybe in a school shooting) and her husband fell in love with and married someone else?
ReplyDelete