
So, I've decided to post my thoughts on a book once I've finished it. I'd like to point out that I read this book a little more healthily than I typically read. Granted, this is a rather long book so I couldn't do my typical two or three days reading obsessively. Also, because I've been pretty busy teaching (with Tyler gone to classes at nights) I was forced to read just a little bit at a time. I really enjoyed it. I should try this healthy reading thing more often.
Now that I've finished the book (15 minutes ago), I'm left with one main thought.
Milady is an evil, evil woman.
She's evil incarnate. At one point, the Comte de Rochefort asks her to "Commend me to [your master] Satan." And because she's so thoroughly and unbelievable evil, she's really delightfully evil.
The same is true of all the characters in the book; all of them are character types, which in this adventure make them more comedic and more entertaining. D’Artagnan is enterprising and ambitious with a weakness for women, Porthos is kind of a fop with a weakness for women, Aramis is pious with a weakness for women, and Athos, I don’t know, bitter and noble with a hatred for women. But I don't think they're cheap because of that; they reveal human truth and passion by being the embodiment of one characteristic, being a true characteristic followed completely to form. That said, the only characteristics symbolized by women in the novel are naivety, weakness in love, and, as noted above, evil.
I also loved the comedy in the book. The dialogue between D'Artagnan and Athos, Porthos, and Aramis is particularly funny. And the fact that these deathly adventures and intrigues are basically the result of two characters trying to pass notes to each other (jr. high style) is pretty funny.
In the end, I thank Barbara for loving and recommending this book. And for also finding Milady an evil, evil woman.
Have you read East of Eden? I found her (what's her name) to be very evil. You could even say the fru-its of the devil.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to add 3 Musketeers to the pile. Sounds lovely.