This past weekend we went to Moab with Marissa and Luke, my sister and brother-in-law. It was fantastic. And terrible. But mostly fantastic.
We had a great time hiking. Talmage particularly enjoyed hiking on the trail head to Corona Arch where he discovered a train track. Talmage discovers train tracks wherever he goes--the gutter outside our house, the low wall surrounding the elementary school, the small shelf at the library. Imagine his delight when he found an actual train track. Tyler and Talmage walked the track for nearly a mile while Marissa, Luke, and I went to Corona Arch.
Tyler, being the NASA wannabe that he is, realized that Saturday night was a full moon. And, being the professional photographer that he is, he realized that there was nothing that was going to stop him from getting a picture of the full moon through Delicate Arch. He almost forgot about a tired two year old, and the mission was almost detered. However, thanks to a loving wife who toted 30 lbs of camera gear and a backpack that helped him tote 40 lbs of toddler, Tyler and I sprinted up the trail. Talmage fell asleep five minutes from the top. Tyler got into position, certain that the moon was going to rise any minute (it was a good two hours later before the moon rose) on the windy side of the arch. Talmage successfully slept through 60 mile an hour gusts with his head at a 90 degree angle from his body--for 20 minutes.
Yes, that's me sitting behind him on the back bar of the backpack so that he doesn't blow off the cliff side. Talmage woke up rather unhappy, so he and I abandoned the picture project, picked up Marissa and Luke who had vetoed the photo op to hike Devil's Garden (really, where's the dedication to science or photography?) and waited for Tyler for another hour. But it was all worth it in the end.
It would have been a perfect trip had we not returned to camp that evening at 10:00 to find that our tent had been stolen. Or it blew away. Much thanks to Marissa and Luke who took one for the team and slept in the car (Marissa) and under the stars (Luke) so Talmage had a tent to sleep in.
Here are some more pictures from the trip.


Hey, this is Sarah Merrill...I'm Tyler's cousin. (Colette's daughter) I love your blog! The video's are awesome!! Your little boy is so cute, it's fun to have a way to see pictures all the time!
ReplyDeleteLaura your baby is SO big!! He was just a baby last time i saw him! I can't believe it! It doesn't seem like that long ago. I'll be back to visit your blog!:)
ReplyDeleteLaura--
ReplyDeleteI ran into your blog and decided I would say "hi" instead of blog stalking. I didn't even know you had a baby--your little boy is so cute! I rarely make it to the 6th ward so it's fun to see blogs of old friends and be able to see kids that I might not otherwise see. I love the pictures, especially the moon through the arches. I haven't seen Marissa for so long, tell her I say "hi"!
Feel free to check out our blog too (www.jmke.blogspot.com)--and let me know if it's ok to put a link to yours from mine (I know some people prefer not to be linked). Take care,
Mindy (Bliss) Phillips