
I'm actually not sure what to say about this book other than that I shouldn't read any books over 400 pages. I get way too involved in the characters, and my dreams have been solely about nursing Asher on the fjords of medieval Norway while my life's decisions blow up catastrophically around me.
This is a beautiful novel. I've had so many thoughts while I read it--but I've been reading it for over a month now. I think my most strong impression is a rather mundane proverb: you reap what you sow. The book surrounds Kristin and the result of all her decisions and personality for over 40 years. Her complex relationships with her father, her husband, her brother-in-law, her priests, and her God result from her own decisions--good and bad.
I know that's a pretty lame summation of a thought-provoking book that's occupied much of my mind, but I think I'm still a little too close to the material to analyze it yet. Maybe I'll do a Part 2 when I've stepped back a bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment