Saturday, February 14, 2009

News From Roosevelt

I need to do a play-by-play post about Asher's birth, but right now I am enjoying what I once called the acid trip following the delivery of a new baby, and I'm not referring to the Lortab. The first week after Talmage was born was the most difficult and emotional time of my life--it was like breaking up with a boy as a teenager, going on a mission, and loosing my childhood dog all at the same time. But my sister-in-law Barbara took Talmage for the week (yes she is the best ever) and so instead this week has been like a little honeymoon for Asher and Daddy and me. It's like when your infant was six months old and you thought back to the beginning and thought, "Why was that so hard? He slept 20 hours a day! What did I do with myself?" Well, I'll tell you what I do with a newborn when I have the perspective of a mom with a toddler: I sleep and I enjoy it.

Barb's husband Sean (my brother) called me and told me how Talmage was doing. Sean's a radiologist and Talmage and Barb went to visit him at the hospital. Someone made a skeleton on Halloween out of real X-rays, and it hangs in Sean's office. While they were there, Talmage told Barbara to go and stand by it. Talmage sized them both up and commented:

"Okay, you're tall enough to ride the rollercoaster."

No comments:

Post a Comment