
I think the only really appropriate adjective to describe Jane Austen is "delightful." Yes, I am aware that I overuse the word. But it's Jane Austen. I dare you to read her without musing to yourself, "This truly is delightful." (And yes, you'll muse the word "truly.")
Here is the passage I found the most delightful on this read:
"Edward was now fixed at the cottage at least for a week; for whatever other claims might be made on him, it was impossible that less than a week should be given up to the enjoyment of Elinor's company, or suffice to say half that was to be said of the past, the present, and the future; for though a very few hours spent in the hard labor of incessant talking will despatch more subjects than can really be in common between any two rational creatures, yet, with lovers it is different. Between them no subject is finished, no communication is even made, till it has been made at least twenty times over."
Remember that? When there weren't enough hours in the day to discuss all that needed to be discussed, so you and your intended had to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to get all that discussion discussed? What with all the talking and the making out and the more talking to override the sexual tension, and then a little more talking about more discussion, Tyler and I didn't get to bed until 2:00. And that's after he very responsibly left my apartment at midnight because we were Very Obedient Followers of the BYU Honor Code. FYI: A six-month Mormon engagement is too long an engagement.
Also delightful is Emma Thompson and her movie adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. A classic. Go watch it with your lover and then discuss.
funny you post this. just last night a male friend and i read aloud letters that john adams wrote to abigail. it felt quite "jane austen" to be reading such delightful literature and discuss it. hum, maybe i have found my soulmate.
ReplyDeleteI love everything Jane Austen! I have every version (that I know of) of each of the movies! I also own any other movie from that era.
ReplyDeleteBy the way...Larry and I were engaged 2 1/2 months and that was far too long! (30 years ago today we stood on the stairs of the Salt Lake Temple as man and wife and were shocked that we both stayed strong and made it worthily!)